Terrence Higgins Trust uses cookies to improve your experience of our websites. For more information or to change the use of cookies, please click here.

Accept and Close


I was very surprised to learn that once treatment started improvements to my health might be seen in as little as eight weeks.

How I discovered I was HIV positive...

For the last three or four years I always seemed to have some sort of illness or thing wrong which seemed to take a long time to clear up.

I kind of knew that something was wrong but as they appeared to be small things, such as a cough that just wouldn't go or spots on my face that seemed to remain, so I didn't really feel that I needed to go to my GP to get anything sorted.

But, after putting up with a cough for six months I decided to visit my GP. After a quick, but very thorough, examination my GP announced that he thought I was HIV positive and that I should arrange to go to the sexual health clinic to have a test.

I remember thanking him for seeing me and for a few moments it didn't really register what he had said. As I left the surgery and started the short 10 minute walk home, the shock of what I had been told began to sink in. As I got nearer home I became more and more upset and on finally reaching home and getting inside, I collapsed on the floor in floods of tears.

Fortunately one of my housemates was home and he realised straight away that something was wrong and after a short time was able to calm me down enough to tell him what my GP had said. At that time I was very angry and frustrated trying to rationalise how I could possibly be HIV positive.

My housemate and I talked over the next couple of days and while at work my mind kept running over the events. How I managed to even function normally I really have no idea as I'm sure I was more than a little distracted. It was during this time, even though I hadn't had any tests done yet, that I began to accept that I may be positive as looking back over the last few years of continual illness of one sort or another it began to make sense.

During this time I felt that I needed to know one way or the other. In mid February 2010 I visited the sexual health clinic and arranged to have an HIV test done. It was two weeks later that I got the results back and they confirmed that I was HIV positive.

I remember my health advisor telling me at the start of the meeting that I was positive. Because of the delay between seeing my GP and getting the test I'd already come to accept that I had HIV and having it confirmed was, in fact, a relief.

We talked for some time and I was given lots of information about the virus and the types of treatments available. I was very surprised to learn that once treatment started improvements to my health might be seen in as little as eight weeks. I had been expecting it to be 6-12 months. By mid March I'd had my first round of tests and by Easter 2010 I'd started my HIV treatment.

Within a few weeks of starting my combination therapy I really noticed the difference. The tickly cough I'd had finally cleared itself up and my appetite came back with a vengeance. I was beginning to feel like my old self again. The only regret I have looking back on things is I wish I had done something about my health earlier instead of suffering and thinking it would sort itself out. It clearly wouldn't have and I would have ended up being a lot worse.

share your own story of hiv

Read Ben's story ››



Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star (No votes cast) Please log in or register to vote. What's this?


Please log in or register to add this article to My favourites. What's this? Adding an article to My favourites will allow you to easily come back to it later or print it.

Your comments

You will need to be logged in before you can leave a comment.

Please log in using the form on the top right of the page or register.