Terrence Higgins Trust uses cookies to improve your experience of our websites. For more information or to change the use of cookies, please click here.

Accept and Close

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Accessing HIV care

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a tax free benefit for disabled people needing help with care or mobility. The Personal Independence Payment (PIP) replaces Disability Living Allowance for working-age people from 8 April 2013.


DLA is gradually being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) — a benefit that is assessed differently to DLA, and which is designed to help with some of the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or disability.

No new claims for DLA have been possible in England, Wales and Scotland since 10th June 2013, except for those who are under the age of 16.

Applying for PIP:

If you are already getting DLA, you will continue to get it until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) writes to tell you about when it will end. You will then be invited to apply for PIP.

If you are already getting DLA when you reach 65, you can continue to get it as long as you still have care or mobility needs or until the DWP asks you to claim PIP instead.

The DWP will only ask you to claim PIP instead if you were under 65 on 8 April 2013.


You will have 28 days to apply for PIP from the date on the letter. Your DLA payments will stop if you don’t apply on time.

You don’t need to do anything until your letter arrives, except if there is a change in how your illness or disability affects you. You will then need to notify the DWP of this change.

More information on DLA and switching to PIP:

Help with DLA and PIP:

Contact THT Direct on 0808 802 1221 with your questions about DLA and PIP, or sign up for free Online Advice at myHIV.



Whole Star Whole Star Whole Star Whole Star Empty Star (3 votes cast) Please log in or register to vote. What's this?


Please log in or register to add this article to My favourites. What's this? Adding an article to My favourites will allow you to easily come back to it later or print it.

Your comments

You will need to be logged in before you can leave a comment.

Please log in using the form on the top right of the page or register.


  • i dont know what too do as my partner died from having HIV and i asm all on my own
    I Dont know what too do or apply for
    also not sure about tennants rights as myself and his family cannot find his Last Will And Testament so his daughter will get everything and i will bbe thrown out of the house with no where to go
    what about my belongings, clothes and everything else i have in the house.
    Can i move back home to Belfast with an emergency home too move into, so i can be near my family to help me out with my HIV also

    Posted 13:53 Sun 22 Jun 2014

The Information Standard: Certified member

This article was last reviewed on 14/12/2015 by Anna Peters

Date due for the next review: 14/12/2018

Content Author: Gillian Arrindell

Current Owner: Advice

More information:


Gov.uk - DLA

PIP and DLA at CAB

Housing Benefit Direct, DWP