Using a condom gets easier the more a man does it, especially if he practices on his own when masturbating.
When it comes to sex either he can put it on himself or his partner can. Here are some tips:
- Check the condom is not past its ‘use by’ date (a condom should last five years if stored correctly; the ‘use by’ date is printed on the wrapper).
- Take care not to rip the condom (eg, with your teeth) when taking it from its wrapper.
- To be sure you have the condom the right way up, place it over your finger tip. If you can’t roll it down, you need to turn it over before putting it on the penis.
- The penis must be fully erect before the condom goes on; if not, it’s more likely to come off (1.).
- Try not to stretch or unroll the condom before it goes on as they can weaken it.
- If the condom has a teat at the tip, squeeze the air out of it. Make sure no air or lubricant is trapped under the condom.
- Roll the condom all the way down to the base of the penis (otherwise it’s more likely to come off). Grip the base of the penis to help it stay hard (2.).
- If the condom gets stuck, roll back up a bit and try again.
- If lubrication is needed (eg, for anal sex), apply water-based or silicone-based lube to the condom once it’s on. Don’t use oil-based lubes – they can make a condom split. Hand cream, oils from the kitchen, massage oils, Vaseline, hair and bath products are all oil-based. Don’t use spit as this also weakens the condom. Be sure to use water-based or silicone-based lube (3.).
- A condom is more likely to split if sex lasts over 30 minutes: check it from time to time and after half an hour change it for a new one.
- After the man has ejaculated, he should grip the base of his penis before pulling out of his partner to ensure the condom doesn’t come off inside them.
- Put used condoms in a bin, not the toilet as they can block it.
- A condom should never be used more than once.
- It's worth mentioning that using a femidom and condom together is not recommended - it's more likely to cause either or both to split.