We're pleased to be able to offer free home testing kits for people who live in Hertfordshire aged 16 or over.
You can get a kit posted to your address by filling in the form below, or collect one from our Watford office by appointment.
We offer two tests: A dual test for chlamydia and gonorrhoea, and an HIV test kit.
If you're under 18, you can contact Services for Young People for sexual health information, advice and support. This includes testing and free condoms.
Chlamydia and gonorrhoea dual test
Testing for chlamydia and gonorrhoea is easy. You just need to pee in a pot or take a swab. Then you place the sample in the envelope supplied with the kit, along with the completed contact form, and pop it in the post. You'll receive the results by text message.
This service is free and confidential. Results are provided by Sexual Health Hertfordshire.
Why test for chlamydia and gonorrhoea?
Both chlamydia and gonorrhoea can easily be treated by taking a course of antibiotics. If left untreated, it can seriously affect your health in a number of ways.
It can cause infertility (this is where you have problems conceiving or are unable to).
It can cause reactive arthritis which affects your joints – this can be painful and cause long-term joint problems.
When to test for chlamydia and gonorrhoea
- If you have never tested for chlamydia or gonorrhoea before.
- If you have had sexual contact with a different person since you last tested.
- If you have not tested for chlamydia or gonorrhoea in over a year.
- If you have not used a condom and/or have had any form of unsafe sex.
- If a condom splits.
- If you’re pregnant.
- After any new sexual partner – infections can be detected two weeks after sexual activity.
- At least once a year.
Women with chlamydia or gonorrhoea may experience:
- pain when peeing or during sex
- a change in vaginal discharge
- bleeding during or after sex
- pain in the lower abdomen
- heavier periods or irregular bleeding between periods.
Men may experience the following symptoms:
- pain when peeing.
- discharge from the tip of the penis (this can be a white, cloudy or watery discharge)
- pain in the testicles
- burning or itching in the genital area.
Remember: most people have no symptoms, so if you notice any of the above, get a full sexual health check.
HIV home testing kit
The HIV home test kit enables you to provide a small blood sample, collected from a finger prick. which you then send off to the lab.
Your results will be sent by text message from SH24.