An HIV test can involve:
- A finger-prick test with Terrence Higgins Trust Hertfordshire with results in an appointment.
- A finger-prick postal test which is sent to a lab for process.
- A finger-prick self test which develops in 15 minutes.
- A blood test at a sexual health clinic.
Different tests take longer to pick up an infection – a blood test at a clinic is most accurate at two months after exposure, and postal and self test kits are most accurate three months after exposure. This is also called the ‘window period’.
Order an HIV test online
To get a test, you can:
- Order a free HIV postal test from Hertfordshire Sexual Health.
- Order a free full postal STI test kit from SH:24.
Alternatively, you can find a sexual health testing centre near you.
If you would like to chat to us about taking a test and your HIV testing options, you can email us at [email protected] or call 01920 484 784.