An HIV test can involve:
- A finger-prick test with Terrence Higgins Trust Hertfordshire with results in an appointment.
- A finger-prick self-sample test which is sent to a lab for process.
- A finger-prick self-test which develops in 15 minutes.
- A blood test at a sexual health clinic.
Different tests take longer to pick up an infection – a blood test at a clinic is most accurate at two months after exposure, and self-sample and self-test kits are most accurate three months after exposure. This is also called ‘window periods’.
Order an HIV test online
To get a test, you can:
- Order a free HIV self-sample test from Hertfordshire Sexual Health.
- Order a free full postal self-sample STI test kit from SH24.
- Order a HIV self-test kit from us – for a limited time these are free for Hertfordshire residents.
Alternatively, you can find a sexual health testing centre near you.
If you would like to chat to us about taking a test and your HIV testing options, you can email us at [email protected] or call 01920 484 784.