An HIV test can involve:
- A finger-prick test with Terrence Higgins Trust Luton with results in an appointment.
- A finger-prick self-sample test which is sent to a lab for process.
- A finger-prick self-test which develops in 15 minutes.
- A blood test at a sexual health clinic.
Different tests take longer to pick up an infection – a blood test at a clinic is most accurate at two months after exposure, and self-sample and self-test kits are most accurate three months after exposure. This is also called ‘window periods’.
Once lockdown lifts, we'll be offering rapid finger-prick tests for HIV, with results available in 20 minutes. This service will run 6pm to 8.30pm on Tuesday evenings at our office on Manor Road. These tests are available via booked appointment only. Please telephone 01582 349 373 to make an appointment.
The office has been assessed as COVID-19 secure and you'll be asked to adhere to our infection control measures. These include wearing a mask or face covering at all times. A member of the team will talk to you about this when you book your appointment.
Order an HIV test online
To get a test, you can:
- Order a free full postal self-sample STI test kit from Luton Sexual Health.
- Order a HIV self-test kit from us – for a limited time these are free for Luton residents.
Alternatively, you can contact Luton Sexual Health to arrange a test at their sexual health clinic.
If you would like to chat to us about taking a test and your HIV testing options, you can email us at [email protected] or call 01920 484 784.