The group is composed of up to 10 staff members, a majority from racially minoritised backgrounds. The group was created in autumn 2021 by the Chief Executive and board of trustees and is co-chaired by Peter Norgate, Director of People & Corporate Services, and Glenda Bonde, Head of NHS Services (England).
It meets monthly to share experiences, but more importantly to provide feedback and recommendations to the senior leadership team on activities related to racial diversity issues. So far, the group has:
- Supported the development of a staff experiences survey.
- Supported the appointment of an external independent diversity consultant to audit the organisation and provide recommendations to address racial diversity issues at a strategic level.
- Begun supporting the recruitment of a Director of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
- Provided recommendations on terminology and language for staff to use as an alternative to the term 'BAME'.
- Provided input into the organisation's response to the All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on HIV/AIDS inquiry looking at the needs of Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic Communities in relation to HIV.
In upcoming meetings, the group hopes to have conversations with senior leaders in the organisation to learn what current plans are for racial diversity at the operations level. It also hopes to provide input into the development of the organisation's new strategy.