Terrence Higgins Trust uses cookies to improve your experience of our websites. For more information or to change the use of cookies, please click here.

Accept and Close


taking envelope from inside of letterbox
Mother and children

Benefits and HIV

An introduction to benefits in the UK and where to find help and advice.

what am I eligible for

The Benefit Cap

The benefit cap is a limit on the total amount of benefits and only applies to people of working age.

entry restrictions

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new single benefit for working-age people.

your healthcare

Tax credits

Tax credits are non-taxable payments from the government for people on a low income.

Habitual Residence Test

If you are an EEA national and want to claim certain means-tested benefits, you must pass this test.

your healthcare

Employment Support Allowance

The ESA is a benefit for people whose ability to work is limited by ill health and/or disability.

taking envelope from inside of letterbox

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP is a benefit for people living with disabilities, which includes people living with HIV in the UK.

Accessing HIV care

Disability Living Allowance

Information about Disability Living Allowance and PIP.


Challenging a benefits decision

What to do when you disagree with a decision regarding your benefits.