Types of benefits:
- Working Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
Universal Credit is the new single benefit for working age people. It is in the process of replacing most means-tested benefits.
If you’re an EEA citizen, you must meet the criteria of the ‘habitual residence test’ before you can claim some benefits.
Some benefits work differently in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Getting help with benefits
If you’re living with HIV and want to find out if you might be eligible for any benefits, register for our free online advice service. You can also contact our THT Direct advice team on 0808 802 1221 or via email.
Lots of organisations, including the government, provide information around benefits.
- Citizens Advice
- My Money Steps
- Government information about benefit cap
- Government information on universal credit
- Government tax credit helpline
- Government information about disability living allowance
- Benefits for EEA nationals
- Appealing against a decision by the Department for Work and Pensions [PDF]