This information is for people who moved to the UK from abroad. It tells you about HIV and sexual health information and services in the UK and how to access them.

Support services for people living with HIV


HIV treatment in the UK is free of charge for everyone regardless of their immigration status as long as they live here.

To access treatment, register with a local HIV treatment clinic. Search for your nearest service. 

To access other healthcare unrelated to HIV, register with a doctor (a general practitioner or GP). This is for all general healthcare support apart from sexual health and emergencies.

We provide a range of support services for people living with HIV including online counselling and a discussion forum.

You can also contact our free helpline THT Direct to talk about the support we can provide.

Testing services


Tests for HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are available at clinics and online by post.

To find a postal test for HIV in your area, search our test finder using your postcode.

Bacterial STIs such as chlamydia, gonorrhoea and syphilis are more easily transmitted than HIV, including through skin-to-skin contact in areas not covered by a condom does not cover and oral sex. Often they do not show symptoms but are usually easily treated with antibiotics.

You can have tests for these at a sexual health clinic from around 12-14 days after possible exposure or earlier if you have symptoms.

Your sexual health clinic can also help you access PrEP.

Many sexual health clinics have reduced services and routine sexual health testing is being done online. You can search for testing services on the following sites:

Further information


If you need more information about the HIV and sexual health services available to you, please contact THT Direct.